Jinguashih is a location of remote wilderness. It wasn’t until 1888 that the first settlers, five farming families, moved to Beiwei, built 5 cottages and settled down. This was the origin of the location name “Wuhaoliao” meaning “cottage number five”. In 1893, with the discovery of gold veins within the head of Jingua Mountain (also known as the Large Golden Melon), large numbers of residents moved in to participate in the gold digging industry; in 1895, with the beginning of the Japanese Colonization Era, the Japanese also joined in the dig, largely increasing the number of residents, and thus allowing the Jinguashih area to thrive. The development of Guashanli and Shanjian-an followed, gradually forming a local community, which led to the name of “Number One Gold Capital of East Asia” for Jinguashih. Following the downfall of the mining industry, the Jinguashih area was gradually forgotten, allowing it to avoid damage from business activities and preserve most of its original mining features.
Here would be a great place for a mining treasure hunt while visiting old mine ruins. Tourists are encouraged to start from the Jinguashih Tourist center. Some historical data, old photos, mineral samples and other tourist information are offered here.